Barboursville Chapter

West Virginia State Society

Daughters of the American Revolution

Barboursville, West Virginia

 

History of the Chapter and Old Toll House
The Barboursville Chapter was organized on December 19, 1936, in the town of Barboursville.  The first meetings were held at the First Methodist Church in Barboursville and members' homes.

The Old Toll House, built of logs in 1837, originally sat on land inherited by Elizabeth Merritt Derton, on the bank of the Guyan River, where it was used by the James River Co., as a toll house until the first bridge was built across the Guyan River.

It was deeded to the Barboursville Chapter, NSDAR, and moved to its present location, 731 Main Street,  in 1951, where it was restored by chapter members with the help of citizens from Barboursville, Huntington, and Milton, WV.  It is used as a museum.

The regular chapter meetings are held the first Saturday of each month, from September through June, at 10:30 a.m.

 

                 

Questions about Membership?

Cassandra Griffith, Registrar (Email: cgrif30057@aol.com)

This website is designed and maintained by Melissa Blake-Smith (Email:  mbbs04@aol.com)

 
Disclaimer: Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters. The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.