Our community outreach programs have included collecting school supplies for Indian schools; supporting our DAR schools with educational materials and clothing, including donations to a shoe fund; and participating in the essay programs for local junior and senior high schools. Twice a year, we participate in naturalization ceremonies at the federal courthouse in Charleston. Each new citizen is given a boutonnière with a flag and a copy of "How to Be a Good Citizen." We support our local veterans home and veterans hospital by donating clothing, comfort items, books, and games. Members have made adult bibs, trachea covers, utility bags for wheelchairs, and lap robes. We especially enjoy participation each November in the Veterans' Day Parade in Charleston.
Kanawha Valley Monuments
Over the years we have placed a number of historic memorials in our area:
· A bronze plaque commemorates Clendenin's Fort, built in 1788 to protect early settlers against Indian raids.
· A stone marker was placed at the foot of Cave in Cliff to honor Daniel Boone, an early settler of the Kanawha Valley.
· An 11-foot-tall crystal white marble shaft engraved with the names of 125 men of the Kanawha Valley who gave their lives in WW I stands in the triangle of Capitol and Lee streets. Each Veterans' Day a wreath is placed there.
· In 1929, a bronze tablet marked the "Rehoboth" log meeting house near Union, Monroe County. It was organized by the Society of Methodists and is the oldest Methodist Episcopal Church west of the Allegheny Mountains.
· A bronze tablet placed in 1930 honors Anne Bailey and Fleming Cobbs, prominent in Charleston history.
· In 1953, a plaque was placed honoring "Patriots of WW ll."
· A plaque in the Capitol Building Rotunda honors the U.S.S. West Virginia.
· A tree was planted on the grounds of the West Virginia State Capitol in Charleston on May 1, 2004. A granite and bronze marker notes that it honors U.S. Armed Forces serving in the global war on terrorism. (see photo above).