West Virginia State Society Daughters of the American Revolution
June Ashworth, Chapter Regent
Westmoreland’s history: George Washington, first President of the United States, was born February 22, 1732 in Washington Parish, Westmoreland County, Virginia on the Potomac River. He was descended from royal gentry of Sulgrave Manor, Northamptonshire, England, and was the fourth prosperous Virginia generation of his line. John Washington came to America in 1657 and founded the American branch of the family. He selected as his family seat, a tract of one hundred fifty acres of land in Westmoreland County on the banks of the Potomac River. Westmoreland County then was the ancestral home of General George Washington. Thus from this record WESTMORELAND CHAPTER received its name.
The Westmoreland Chapter NSDAR was organized April 19, 1975, during the term of State Regent, Mrs. John E. Corbett and Western District Director, Mrs. A.M. Foos, with Mrs. Claude L. (Madge) Matthews serving as Organizing Regent. By the end of the first year there were seventeen Charter members.
· Organized April 19, 1975
· Chartered June 12, 1975
· Incorporated October 8, 1986
Current Chapter Officers:
· Chapter Regent--June Ashworth
· Vice Regent--Kathleen Bledsoe
· Secretary--Cecilia Webb
· Treasurer--Linda Parsons
· Chaplain--Connie McCagg
· Registrar--Wylma Skean
· Librarian--Pat Lee
Chapter Honorary Regents:
· Mrs. Paul Shingleton 1978-81
· Mrs. Richard A. Bromley 1981-83
· Miss Julia E. Adkins 1983-86
· Mrs. Robert H. Belcher 1986-89
· Mrs. Lyle D. McCullough 1989-92
· Mrs. Richard A. Bromley 1992-95
· Mrs. Robert H. Belcher 1995-98
· Mrs. Larry D. Curnutte 1998-2001
· Ms. Kathleen Bledsoe 2001-2007
· Mrs. Arthur E. Parsons 2007-2010
· Ms. Kathleen Bledsoe 2010--2013
Do you have questions about membership? Please contact June Ashworth, Westmoreland Chapter Regent at her e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters. The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Updated 7/15/2016 by Monica Brooks.