Pictures

Page One  ||  Page Two  ||  Page Three  ||  Page Four  ||  Page Five  ||  Page Six

 

Ritchie County Court House - click for larger view

RITCHIE COUNTY COURT HOUSE, Harrisville, WV
Harrisville, County Seat of Ritchie County was laid out in 1822, on land  in the wilderness that belonged to  General Thomas M. Harris.  County Seat of Ritchie County was established in 1843.  This structure was erected in 1923.  It replaced a Court House and annex, that was build in 1874.

The Harris Home - click for larger view

THOMAS HARRIS HOME, Harrisville, WV
Thomas M. Harris was born at Harrisville, June 13, 1813 and died at Harrisville, September 30, 1906.  He was a man of humble beginnings, but his life had importance for future generations.  The Civil War General was one of those appointed to the military panel  which tried those accused of conspiring in the assassination of President Lincoln.  He was also a teacher, a doctor, an oil & gas speculator, a politician, author and historian.  In 1890, the post office name was changed from Ritchie County Court, to Harrisville, by the Federal Government, in honor of the General and his family.  The town also has honored him with the following memorials:  a museum which bears his name, welcome signs which bear his image, a historical highway marker and a lovely stained glass window at St. Luke's United Methodist Church.

Cokeley Layfield Building -Click for larger view

COKELEY-LAYFIELD BUILDING, Harrisville, WV
            For a period of 124 years, this building was owned by just two families.  For the most of its history, the building was the location of the Cokeley Funeral Home.  Three generations of the Cokeley family ran a funeral home there from the late 1800s until the early 1960s.  The Cokeley funeral home was the first in Harrisville.  The business was founded by George M. Cokeley and continued in operation under his children, Effus and Buena.    The first woman in the state of WV licensed as an embalmer Buena V. Cokeley.  The property was purchased by Richard Layfield, in 1967 and was used as a residence and store.  When purchased by David Deak, in 2001, the structure was too deteriorated to save, and was brought to the ground in January of 2002.
 

Home || Officers || Members || Meetings

History || Patriots || Past Regents || First Officers

Photos || Links

For membership information, please contact Patricia Casper, Regent, hedgecasper@hotmail.com

or Katy Keith, nutmeg@zoominternet.net, Webpage Content Creator

WVDAR Home

  Last updated: 05/13/2017

Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters. The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.