HOME  ||  HISTORY  ||  OFFICERS  ||  PROJECTS  ||  ANCESTORS  ||  MEETINGS  ||  MEMBERSHIP

Our History

The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution was founded October 11,  1890,  with three objectives:  historical preservation,  promotion of education,  and patriotic endeavors.  Just twenty-four years later,  on September 15,  1914,  the Kanawha Valley Chapter was admitted to the National Society.  On January 12,  1915,  the Kanawha Valley Chapter was chartered.  It was the fourteenth chapter organized in West Virginia.

The organizing regent was Nina Blundon Wills  (Mrs. Woodson T.),  who was originally a member of the Colonel Charles Lewis Chapter of Point Pleasant,  West Virginia.  Several members of the Colonel Charles Lewis Chapter resided in Charleston and would ride a train to Point Pleasant to attend meetings.  At the request of Mrs. William Jackson Smith,  Mrs.  Wills called an organizational meeting at her home at 1514 Washington Street,  Charleston,  West Virginia. 

The name Kanawha Valley was chosen to honor that part of West Virginia through which the great Kanawha River flows, an area  as important to the Revolution as it continues to be in the history of the state. The Kanawha River was named for a small tribe of Native Americans who hunted along its banks.

 

Kanawha Valley Home  ||  National DAR Home  ||  West Virginia DAR Home

For membership information, please contact our Membership Committee at: SGilkeson@aol.com

Web Content creator, Joan Collins, joan2556@aol.com